AVA1042 Cleaning Techniques
Course will open the subjects of pollution and harmful emissions as well as environmental technology, pollution prevention, green chemistry and environmental catalysis.
Study type: Online studies
Duration: 5 op
Application period opens: 21.11.2022 at 08:00
Application period closes: 06.01.2023 at 23:59
Studies start: 25.01.2023
Studies end: 12.04.2023
Students will focus on the following subjects during the course:
1. Basics of pollution
2. Green chemistry and Circular economy
4. Environmental catalysis
5. Air emissions and purification methods
6. Water and waste water treatment
7. Soil remediation
8. Hazardous waste treatment techniques
9. Modern landfills
After completing the course student
- can explain the basics of pollution and knows the importance of sustainability
- knows the possibilities of environmental technology to reduce pollution
- is able to name and identify harmful emissions in soil, water and air, and is able to recognize the sources of emissions
- can describe health and environmental effects of pollutants
- can identify and describe the methods used in environmental technology: Pollution prevention and different abatement techniques (primary and secondary methods)
- can choose the best available technology for each case
- can explain the principles of green chemistry and green engineering and can apply those principles in process design
- understands the circulation economy and its importance as an operating model of the future
- learns to know the importance of environmental catalysis
- knows principles of LCA.
Course implementation is 100% online.
No previous studies are required. Course is mainly for the engineering students.
Course is evaluated with grading scale 0-5.
5 credits course requires approximately 135 hours of work.
Digital learning environment in Centria (and for this course) is itslearning. The student needs a computer and working internet access.
Learning material and additional links is placed in Itslearning learning environment.
You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.Richard Branson
Enrollment for Averko online studies is three (3) times a year, timetables for study rounds are available here. Enrollment is done on a electronic enrollment form.
Course enrollment for January’s study round opens on Mon 21st November, 2022.
Online studies are conducted in Centria’s Itslearning study environment and courses have a limited participant intake. Participation in studies can be cancelled free of charge within 3 weeks of the starting day.
Students are immediately notified in case of courses being cancelled as soon as the official enrollment time ends. If the course starts as stated, students are contacted closer to the starting date (approx. a week before studies begin).
At the moment, the study fee for open UAS studies is 10€ / ECTS credit. The studies are invoiced after the three-week cancellation period, calculated from the start of the studies. Dropping out or not completing studies does not entitle you to a refund or cancellation of the invoice.
Open UAS study fees are based on enrollment. You can cancel participation to studies free of charge during the three (3) weeks cancellation time by simply informing it to averko(a)centria.fi.
If you are completing a degree in a Finnish secondary school, Centria UAS studies are free of charge and offered to you as väylä studies. In the enrollment form, enter the organisation / educational institution where you are studying (e.g. väylä / school name) and also mention the name of the teacher or student counsellor (with whom you have discussed on participating in the course) as the contact person.
Students of other UAS’s (Campusonline) can participate in studies free of charge on basis of a co-operation agreement. We ask you to please use school email when enrolling and also state the home school where requested on the enrollment form.
If you are a Centria UAS student, Averko online studies are free of charge. You register through the Peppi system.
Questions about e.g. enrolling, cancellation, course fees: averko(a)centria.fi