AV00AT27 Brush up your English
Opintojen laajuus: 3 cr
Haku alkaa: 14.08.2023 klo 08:00
Haku päättyy: 08.09.2023 klo 23:59
Koulutus alkaa: 27.09.2023
Koulutus päättyy: 06.12.2023
Repetition of basic grammatical structures and everyday vocabulary on for example leisure time, hobbies, service situations and travelling.
The learning outcomes of the course:
- the students know the basic English grammar (verb tenses, irregular verb forms, sentence structure, questions, adjectives, articles, nouns, prepositions …)
- the students get used to speaking English in class
- the students improve their written English (possibly after a long break)
- the students acquire the skills needed to study the compulsory English courses of their degree programme
The target level of the course according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is A2/B1.
Course implementation is 100% online.
No previous studies on the subject are required.
Course is evaluated with Passed (S) / Failed (0).
For a passed grade:
- the student attends classes actively and completes the required oral and written assignments and/or exam
- the student knows how to form basic grammatically correct sentences
For a failed grade:
- the student has not attended classes actively enough or has not competed the required oral and written assignments and/ or exam
- the student still struggles with basic sentences in English.
3 credits course requires approximately 81 hours of work.
Digital learning environment in Centria (and for this course) is itslearning. The student needs a computer and working internet access.
Learning material and additional links is placed in Itslearning learning environment.
Being a student is easy. Learning requires actual work.William Crawford
Enrollment for Averko online studies is three (3) times a year, timetables for study rounds are available here. Enrollment is done on a electronic enrollment form.
Enrollment for the study round opens on 14th August, 2023.
Online studies are conducted in Centria’s Itslearning study environment and courses have a limited participant intake. Participation in studies can be cancelled free of charge within 3 weeks of the starting day.
Students are immediately notified in case of courses being cancelled as soon as the official enrollment time ends. If the course starts as stated, students are contacted closer to the starting date (approx. a week before studies begin).
At the moment, the study fee for open UAS studies is 10€ / ECTS credit. The studies are invoiced after the three-week cancellation period, calculated from the start of the studies. Dropping out or not completing studies does not entitle you to a refund or cancellation of the invoice.
Open UAS study fees are based on enrollment. You can cancel participation to studies free of charge during the three (3) weeks cancellation time by simply informing it to averko(a)centria.fi.
If you are completing a degree in a Finnish secondary school, Centria UAS studies are free of charge and offered to you as väylä studies. In the enrollment form, enter the organisation / educational institution where you are studying (e.g. väylä / school name) and also mention the name of the teacher or student counsellor (with whom you have discussed on participating in the course) as the contact person.
Students of other UAS’s (Campusonline) can participate in studies free of charge on basis of a co-operation agreement. We ask you to please use school email when enrolling and also state the home school where requested on the enrollment form.
If you are a Centria UAS student, Averko online studies are free of charge. You register through the Peppi system.
Questions about e.g. enrolling, cancellation, course fees: averko(a)centria.fi